Monday, February 7, 2011

Dairy-free Peas and Carrots soup


I was reading a story online and in it a teenager makes peas and carrots soup for a cancer-survivor.   I've never had it before so naturally, it made me curious and I just had to make it.  I googled and tweaked a recipe that would work with our food issues.  So here it is.

*Ingredients:

1 cup of frozen peas
1 cup diced carrots
Some diced celery stalks
A dash of thyme
A dash of salt and pepper
A few pieces of chopped garlic
A cup or so of hemp milk ( you can also use almond or any other dairy-free option.  Use real milk if you can tolerate it)
A tbsp of tapioca starch to thicken it (you may use arrowroot or potato starch too)

Saute garlic then add everything to the pot.  Bring to a boil.  When vegetables are tender, turn off the stove.  Let it sit for a little bit.  Puree.  Serve!

I initially made this with coconut milk.  It was lovely!  The 2nd time (in the photo) was with unsweetened hemp milk.

*I eyeball when I cook.  I apologize for the approximations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment