Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chestnut flour muffin with chocolate!

This is the first time I baked with chestnut flour.  It came out great!  There's no dairy, grain, eggs, soy in this recipe.  I normally use honey or agave nectar but it would be too watery so I went ahead and used beet sugar.  I hope you enjoy these muffins! They were so good.  My daughter gobbled one up and wanted more!

1 cup chestnut flour *
1/2 cup beet sugar (or less, it's a little too sweet for me, next time I'll use 1/4)
Equivalent of 1 egg, egg-replacer
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup hemp milk
4 tbsp Spectrum shortening, softened for 30 seconds in the microwave.
1/2 Tbsp baking powder (make sure it's the gluten-free kind)
1/4 tsp baking soda
A dash of salt
A handful of chocolate chips *I use sugar-free and purchased them from Nutsonline.com

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.  Mix all the wet ingredients together til smooth/creamy.   Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients together.   Mix and then slowly fold in the chocolate chips.  Bake in a cupcake-lined tin for 20 minutes or til toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!  They're yummy!
*Bought from Nutsonline.com in case anyone is wondering.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing.
    I love chestnut flour (I get it from another supplier though) and I'm trying to figure out how to use it in various ways.
    If you have more recipes with this flour that you'd like to share, I'm interested! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alchemille and thanks for visiting my blog. I'm experimenting with this flour so I only have 1 recipe so far :). I'll post when I come up with something else. I imagine it would work for cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your chestnut muffins though I tweaked the recipe slightly and replaced the chocolate with 1 sliced apple & a few sliced almonds...They are delicious.
    I used a different chestnut flour than yours (mine is from trails end chestnuts, US grown).
    They both taste slightly different, the colors are different too and they don't quite absorb the same amount of liquid but I like all chestnuts anyway ;).
    I believe Corsican cuisine uses a lot of chestnut flour...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alchemille,

    I'm so glad it worked out for you! The apple sounds good too and the almonds. You could put pecans on top too. I think I'll do that next time.

    I'm not sure where this chestnut flour is originally from, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nuts online get their chestnut flour from Italy.

    The one I buy is from Trails End Chestnuts, a small business in WA. They mill the flour freshly before shipping it. It's a little bit more expensive but it's good quality: http://www.chestnuttrails.com/collections/all

    ReplyDelete