Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fake Larabar balls

these didn't last long!
I can't think of a snazzy name for these so because they taste like Larabars I decided to call them  "Fake Larabar balls."  These are so easy to make and so delicious, you'll devour them all in one sitting!  

I always get raw nuts and soak and dehydrate them first, which could take a couple of days.  However,  if you just want to use regular nuts and not go through the lengthy process like I do, that's fine too.  If you're interested in the art of soaking nuts, here's how I do it:

Wash the nuts thoroughly.  You'll notice that bubbles will form. Rinse well.  Soak in cold water with a little bit of salt.  Soak for at least 12 hours.   After the allotted time, rinse well.  I dehydrate them after. I have a dehydrator, I leave them there for about 7 hours. You'll have to check, times may vary, depending on your machine and the type of nuts you're using.

Ingredients:

1 cup dried dates (I used Dole)
1 cup walnuts ( you can use any nuts you want)
1/2 cup shredded organic coconut *optional

Pulse dates in a food processor.  Set aside. Pulse the walnuts but not too much, you don't want to end up with walnut butter!

Mix them together and form into balls. Or if you want to make them look like Larabars, make them into bars.

Refrigerate until it sets.  For Larabar look-alike, wrap in plastic wrap individually, tape it and refrigerate until it sets.

I hope this is not too confusing! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I have a feeling I will be making these verrry often!!
    Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have different varieties of these :), when I make them I'll take pictures and post the recipes too.

    ReplyDelete